There are ants in Tunisia that are roughly a few millimeters long. They leave their nests and find food sources by smelling them.
In order to make sure they do not loose the scent, they aim somewhat downwind from the food source. When they get to a food source, they bite off a chunk of food and drag it back to their nests which they find by path integration.
Now here's the amazing thing—they can do this with a food source 50 meters from their nest.
That's like us smelling something five miles away, walking to it, and then walking back home with no roads and signs to guide us.
- Harald Wolf & Rudiger Wehner, "Desert ants compensate for navigation uncertainty"
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades