Evidently, when you are thinking about a problem, you use up glucose.
This can be seen by monitoring blood glucose as people work on math problems and the like.
Roy Baumeister conducted an experiment where the subjects solved math problems. Just before solving some of the problems, half of the subjects were given lemonade with sugar in it, and the other half were given lemonade with artificial sweetener in it. The ones who were given the sugared drink did better.
Here is something even more amazing.
In Israel, there are these people who evaluate applications for parole. Evidently, the odds of getting paroled are only 35 percent. That is, the default is to reject the application.
Well, these people just evaluate applications all day long, taking on average 6 minutes per application. Each application is time-stamped after they've been evaluated.
During work, the evaluators have a break for lunch and one for an afternoon snack. Lo and behold, the rate of approval is 65 percent, as opposed to the average of 35 percent, just after they've had something to eat—and drops to just 10 percent right before their breaks start.
So, the moral of the story—eat before you have a test.
Have you noticed a difference problem-solving or concentrating after eating compared to before eating?
- Matthew Gailliot & Roy Baumeister, "The Physiology of Willpower: Linking Blood Glucose to Self-Control"
- Shal Danziger, Jonathan Levav & Liora Avnalm-Pesso, "Extraneous factors in judicial decisions"
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades